JD Supra Israel
- JD Supra
- Publication date:
- Barnea Jaffa Lande & Co. (38)
- White & Case LLP (17)
- Fenwick & West LLP (7)
- Holland & Knight LLP (4)
- Dentons (2)
- Cozen O'Connor (2)
- Latham & Watkins LLP (2)
- Allen & Overy LLP (2)
- Sullivan & Worcester (2)
- International Lawyers Network (2)
- Morrison & Foerster LLP (2)
- Mintz (2)
- McDonnell Boehnen Hulbert & Berghoff LLP (2)
- Orrick - Financial Industry Review (1)
- BakerHostetler (1)
- Cohen & Gresser LLP (1)
- Ogletree, Deakins, Nash, Smoak & Stewart, P.C. (1)
- Knobbe Martens (1)
- Goodwin (1)
- Planet Depos, LLC (1)
- Cohen Seglias Pallas Greenhall & Furman PC (1)
- Health Care Compliance Association (HCCA) (1)
- Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton LLP (1)
- Sanford Millar (1)
- Mintz - Health Care Viewpoints (1)
- Morgan Lewis (1)
- News from Abroad: Israel PTO Proposes to Stop Rejecting Divisional Applications for "Overlap" with Parent Cases
Many patent practitioners will never have need to file a patent application in Israel, a country of nine million people that's geographically smaller than New Jersey. But if you're one of those practitioners who does file in Israel from time to time -- and I suspect that readers of Patent Docs file in Israel at a higher rate than the general practitioner population -- you'll be pleased to know that the Israel PTO (ILPTO) recently proposed a change in patent examination practice that portends relief for beleaguered applicants: the ILPTO plans to tighten the criteria for rejecting claims of an applicant's application for "overlap" with the claims of another of the applicant's applications (or granted patents). The upshot will be that the ILPTO will no longer make such rejections in the case of divisional applications on the basis of the claims of an ancestor application.
- Investment Management 2.0 – Internet Platform for Investment Management
Last week the Israel Securities Authority published a directive on “Investment Management 2.0”. Investment Management 2.0 is effectively a service model for internet investment management operated through investment in mutual funds. Through this service, companies that hold an investment management license and that market investments may offer their clients investment management and marketing services…
- Amending Protocol to Israel-UK Tax Treaty to Take Effect in Early January 2020
An amending protocol to the 1962 Israel-UK tax treaty is effective as of January 1, 2020. The protocol includes a long list of significant and fundamental amendments and updates to the treaty, among them...
- New Standards in Cyber Protection for Companies in the Government, Infrastructure, and Finance Sectors
The Governmental Cyber Security Unit has published a new directive according to which material service providers to government, infrastructure, and finance bodies will be required to adopt a common and unified standard for cyber protection, with the goal of improving the security of the State’s essential IT and infrastructure systems. This directive expands the existing instructions of various regulators, such as the Supervisor of Bank and the Supervisor of Capital Market, Insurance and Savings, regarding the cyber security requirements for the supervised entities’ entry into contractual agreements with third party service providers.
- Is It Necessary to Send a Demand Letter a Defendant Prior to Filing a Class Action Suit?
It is not every day a judgment on class action suits is handed down by an extended panel of Supreme Court justices. And yet, in December 2019, an expanded panel of seven Supreme Court justices, headed by the Honorable chief justice Esther Hayut, published a precedential and important decision considering the issue of whether a party seeking to file a class action suit against a government agency must send a demand letter to the agency in advance of filing. The answer to this question carries much weight in all aspects of the conditions for filing class action suits against private businesses as well, such as class action suits in consumer matters, causes of action flowing from possession of securities, and a variety of other issues.
- Good Night 2019!
It has certainly been an interesting 2019 in the Israeli Hi-Tech space, here is a rundown of 10 highlights, in case you missed them...
- Israel-Australia Double Taxation Treaty Enters into Force on January 1, 2020
Further to our April 2019 update on the signing of a double taxation treaty between Israel and Australia, the Minister of Finance signed in December 2019 the order bringing the treaty into effect on January 1, 2020.
- Latest Developments in the Israeli Payments Market
The Bank of Israel recently led several important developments in the Israeli payments market. These developments are designed to encourage competition in the payment services market and to advance the implementation of innovative technologies.
- IPO – What’s Important to Know
A private company considering an initial public offering (IPO), and thus in effect becoming public, should know it is a complex and long process, and one that may pose many challenges.
- Modifications to an Apartment at the Purchaser's Request Do Not Constitute Just Cause for Late Delivery of Possession
A recent judgment by the Hadera Magistrate’s Court upends the common view currently reflected in agreements for the purchase of an apartment from a developer. The ruling holds that modifications to an apartment made at a purchaser’s request do not constitute just cause for late delivery and that the purchaser must be compensated for any delay.
- The Schrems Saga Continues: Israeli Law, Information and Technology Authority Revokes Transfer Authorizations
Citing the European Court of Justice’s (ECJ) October 6, 2015 decision in Schrems v. Data Protection Commissioner, which invalidated the EU Commission’s Safe Harbor decision, the Israeli Law, Information and Technology Authority (ILITA) announced, on October 19, 2015, that it was revoking its prior...
- Thoughts for Board and Senior Management of Israeli Public Companies
We have set out below observations for board members and senior management of Israeli companies based on our experiences of the last year....
- Outlook for M&A in Israel: Execs expect the bull run to continue: Israel M&A, by the numbers
Our third annual survey finds that a bullish outlook and the ascendance of domestic and Asian buyers could make 2019 a standout year.... ...Selected charts provide an overview of 2018 performance, including M&A value and volume, top deals, leading sectors and top inbound bidders....
- Israel Securities Authority Demands Being Granted Authority to Supervise Underwriters and Distributors
The Israel Securities Authority (ISA) recently published a proposal for amending the Securities Law as to the supervision of underwriters and distributors. The ISA aims to add a section to the law that would authorize it to establish regulations for underwriters and distributors for purposes of...
- Initiative to Increase Population Density in Residences
The National Committee for Planning and Construction has approved the Planning Administration’s initiative to amend the provisions of TAMA 35. The planned amendment will update the calculation method for the level of population density, from the number of residential units per square kilometer to...
- Trends in Legal Terms in Venture Financings in Israel - (2009 Annual Survey)
We have analyzed the terms of venture financings for Israeli and Israeli-related technology companies that reported raising money in 2009. Our survey does not include financing rounds of less than US $500,000. The tables below also show, for purposes of comparison, the results of our previously...
- Trends in Legal Terms in Venture Financings in Israel - First Half 2015
Background —We have analyzed the terms of venture financings for Israeli and Israeli-related technology companies that reported raising money during H1 2015. Our survey does not include financing rounds of less than US $500,000. The tables below also show, for purposes of comparison, the results of ...
- Israeli Supreme Court grants injunctive relief to Bitcoin trading company against its bank
On 25 February 2018, the Israeli Supreme Court, in what appears to be a landmark decision, granted temporary relief in favour of a crypto-currency (Bitcoin) trading company, Bits of Gold Limited (BoG) against its bank, Bank Leumi (Leumi)....
- Outlook for M&A in Israel: Execs expect the bull run to continue: Optimism about M&A is stronger than ever
Deals targeting Israeli companies hit an all-time high of US$26.5 billion in 2018, from 103 deals—an increase of 4.5 percent in terms of value compared to 2017. Much of this increase was due to a jump in domestic dealmaking, which increased 178 percent over 2018 to almost US$8.1 billion as deal...
- Bill to Amend the Investment Advice Law to Allow General Investment Advice without a License
The Israel Securities Authority (ISA) recently published a draft bill for the Regulation of Investment Advice, Investment Marketing and Investment Portfolio Management Law, 5755-1995 (the “Advice Law”). The purpose of the bill is to regulate the area of of general investment advice services and to ...